Microfilmed items are also available in Buncrana, Bundoran and Na Rosa (Dungloe) libraries. For contact details and opening hours for Central Library and all local libraries, please If you are away from home and have an interest in, or connection to, Donegal this project may be of interest to you. These list the names of householders who were eligible to pay the Hearth Tax, and were compiled in 1665. The original manuscripts were found in the basement of Lifford Courthouse in 1933 and sent to the National Library.
The Donegal Diaspora Project has been created to reach out and actively engage with that global community, acting as a resource for information, connections, partnership and development. This is, like Pender's Census, a survey of the native Irish tenants remaining on forfeited lands, and is contained in The Plantation in Ulster by George Hill. This is a photocopy of some 18th century Catholic marriages in the Protestant registers of the Diocese of Raphoe.
It is a list of able-bodied men able to fight if needed for the Crown, listed by barony and 'undertaker'. Although the publication dates for County Donegal are stated to be 1857-58, there is strong evidence to suggest that the valuation was carried out up to a decade earlier.
It is known, for instance, that some persons listed as being present in 1857-58 had died in the Famine.
The Poor Law Commissioners authorized £6,600 on its construction which was to accommodate 300 inmates. In 1855, rumours of murder and cover-up began circulating in the village of Walton-in-Gordano.
Lovingly restored to blend its historic past with a dash of contemporary elegance, County Donegal's only five-star hotel has been titled.
Recent awards include that of earning a spot as one of Condé Nast's top three luxury Ireland hotels, Ulster Wedding Venue of the Year 2017, Luxury Hotel of the Year 2017, Ulster Spa of the year 2016, Travelers Choice Award 2016, Luxury Castle Hotel & Spa of the year 2016, Venue Coordinator of the Year 2016, Ulster Hotel Wedding Venue of the Year 2015.
Between 19, the workhouse became Cambridge House, a mental deficiency colony run by Somerset County Council.
It subsequently became known as Farleigh Hospital, which was the centre of a scandal in 1971 when two members of the nursing staff spoke out about the appalling treatment being meted out to the vulnerable patients.